Thursday 12 April 2012

Itchy fingers

Hi everyone,

Sometimes when we're doing a workshop and everyone is busy working away, we get itchy fingers watching and wanting to join in. Well, I can tell you my fingers are tingling. I haven't been near my sewing machine for 2 weeks, un-heard of, which means nothing has been produced. However, I did finish a couple of projects before Easter, so I've added photo's of two sets of cushion.
The first set of cushions I've made for the lounge using upholstery fabric's that had a lovely large print. The method is quilt-as-you-go crazy patchwork. I've then free machine quilted and embellished with some hand stitching. The feathers didn't stand out all that well so I painted them in with some beautiful turquiose Jacquard Lumiere fabric paint. I used sample pieces of fabric so had to piece the backs, which has made the cushion very heavy, I think I will buy some lighter cushion pads.


The second set of cushions are for my daughter. When she moved into another student house we had to buy more bedding, we bought king size instead of double. So, I cut them down to size and used the cut-off pieces for the cushions. I wanted it to be a quick process as the cushions are going to be used, plus I only had 2 fabrics. I decided not to think, just stitch and free hand cut, without fussing to much about what pattern and colour went where, until I had 2 tops the right size. Can I say at this point, I loved making them, when you finish some processes they just make you smile, and this one made me. Anyway, I had to piece the backs again, but I didn't add wadding this time so not too heavy.
Daughter loves them and they'll be back to London at the weekend.

Hope you enjoyed seeing them and my remedy for itchy fingers........get back to the sewing machine!

speak soon
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment